WHAT INTERESTS AND INSPIRES ME THROUGH MY TRAVELS

Dec 23, 2009

Silhouette Choices

Something I have been pondering over as I read and oodle at different blogs is why are the women who are constantly posted on Malmo Street Style creating the silhouette they are.  I feel that based on how they dress themselves and layer (I do know it is a frigid place and the weather forces for many layers) that they are creating a sihouette that makes them look very boxy or large.  A few sample photos below:




Now I want to stress that I am in now way talking about their individual style because these three women have a very unique style to one another.  I am strictly speaking of the weight/body image they are portraying.  I believe that because I am American and was brought up in a society stressing to be skinny and petite that I view these images the way I do.  Below are some images from Refinery29 from their New York street postings.


 



 

These three images show that although layered the silhouettes being portrayed are much leaner, less boxy and less frumpy in many ways.  My next thought was maybe this boxy silhouette is a new up and coming trend.  I know that Swedish brand, COS (owned by retailing giant H&M) is known for their boxier silhouette, a store where I can never figure out how I would style their clothes.  So I turned to Paris and Milan street styles:




 
 Once again the outfits are lean, although layered and with some heavy pieces still give a distinct image as to what the women looks like and more often then not they are skinny and petite.  Are we all just vain societies that idolize skinny even if that means not eating??

No comments: